Compete to Win in Skillz’ Gaming for Good Challenge to Save Lives and Dream of a World Without Cancer
Skillz-Powered Mobile Games Tournament Profiles Three Legendary Former NCAA Coaches Championing Coaches vs. Cancer in Partnership with the National Association of Basketball Coaches and the American Cancer Society
Skillz and its longtime Gaming for Good partner the American Cancer Society (ACS) are teaming up to launch a competitive mobile games tournament in support of Coaches vs. Cancer, a partnership between ACS and the National Association of Basketball Coaches. Launching in the spirit of the college tournament season, the campaign will be held every Sunday, including March 20, 27, and April 3, and will spotlight three legendary former NCAA coaches who are longtime supporters of ACS’s fight against cancer.
These featured coaches include:
- Jim Calhoun, the Hall of Fame coaching star of St. Joseph’s University and former UConn men’s basketball coach.
- Bobby Cremins, recognized as one of the greatest coaches in ACC history from the College of Charleston, Georgia Tech and Appalachian State.
- Lon Kruger, who retired in 2021 with nearly 700 career wins as a collegiate head coach. He is the only coach in NCAA history to win NCAA tournament games with five different programs, including the University of Oklahoma, University of Nevada; Las Vegas, University of Illinois, University of Florida, and Kansas State University.
All three coaches will be featured (sharing words of encouragement on behalf of Coaches vs. Cancer) in a series of social video moments that will go live starting March 16 on Skillz Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn channels.
“As a four-time survivor of cancer, I believe that everything is beatable if you have that fighting spirit. I am a proud supporter of Coaches vs. Cancer and encourage everyone to have some fun, while playing to win in Skillz’ Gaming for Good tournament.”
Jim Calhoun, retired head coach of St. Joseph’s University and previously, the University of Connecticut. He is an active member of the Coaches vs. Cancer Council.
“I’ve been a champion of Coaches vs. Cancer for over two decades, and it’s a cause that remains near and dear to my heart. Whether you’re a fellow coach, a fan, player, or a part of our community, let’s unite together and play to save lives with Skillz.”
Bobby Cremins, retired head coach from the College of Charleston and formerly at Georgia Tech and Appalachian State; also an inaugural inductee in the Coaches vs. Cancer Circle of Honor.
“Coaches vs. Cancer is an incredible program that makes a positive difference in the lives of so many. We encourage everyone to get involved by playing in the Skillz mobile games tournaments. Team with us today and help us finish the fight against cancer.”
Lon Kruger, longtime basketball coach, and the only head coach to win a NCAA tournament game with five different programs. He is chair of the Coaches vs. Cancer Council and recipient of the Coaches vs. Cancer “Champion” Award.
The Skillz-powered all-day mobile games tournament will be held for three consecutive Sundays on March 20, March 27 and April 3 (10am-10pm PST), where players around the world can compete in popular games, including 21 Blitz, Blackout Bingo, Dominoes Gold and Solitaire Cube. Proceeds from player entry fees will be donated to Coaches vs. Cancer.
Join Skillz In the Game and Unite to Help ACS Save Lives.
How to Enter the Tournament:
- Download any one of Skillz most popular games, including 21 Blitz, Blackout Bingo, Dominoes Gold or Solitaire Cube
- Log in on March 20, March 27 or April 3, 2022, 10am-10pm PST
- Enter the event title: G4G – Coaches Vs. Cancer
- Play and compete to save lives. For more information, visit https://games.skillz.com/acs-coachesvscancer
Incredible world-class prizes will also be awarded throughout Skillz three-week Gaming for Good tournament, including:
- Grand prize giveaway: Three trips to attend the Coaches vs. Cancer Main Event tournament in November 2022 (includes airfare, hotel accommodations, and event tickets)
- Autographed basketball signed by legendary participating Coaches vs. Cancer coaches
- College and university apparel
About American Cancer Society
As the largest private nonprofit funder of cancer research in the United States, the American Cancer Society’s mission is to save lives, celebrate lives, and lead the fight for a world without cancer. ACS is dedicated to fighting cancer from every angle, supporting cancer research and prevention, screening, detection, access to care, and patient services. The organization has invested over $4.9 billion in research since 1946.
About Coaches vs. Cancer
For over 25 years, the Coaches vs. Cancer program, in collaboration with the National Association of Basketball Coaches, has united coaches and fans nationwide to help the American Cancer Society defeat a common enemy – cancer. Through fundraising and education initiatives, the Coaches vs. Cancer program has supported the American Cancer Society in its efforts to save lives from cancer in the US and worldwide. Learn more about the Coaches vs. Cancer Council.
About Skillz Inc.
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform that connects players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, and distributes millions in prizes each month. Skillz has earned recognition as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, CNBC’s Disruptor 50, Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups, and the number-one fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000. www.skillz.com